Through the efforts of both concerned parents and members of the Jefferson County Board of Education, Minor High School was established to serve the communities of McDonald's Chapel, Edgewater, Mulga, Bayview, Minor Heights, Docena, Crumley Chapel, Sandusky, Hillview, Westwood, Adamsville, Cardiff, Forestdale, Graysville, and Brookside. In February 1922, Minor High School, named for John W. Minor, opened its doors to ninety-five students. Serving as principal was Mr. W. C. Petty. According to The Birmingham Post, Minor High School was the "pride and joy" of the Jefferson County Board of Education, costing $100,000 ($75,000 for the building and $25,000 for equipment).
Minor's first full year of operation began on September 11, 1922. With a faculty of seven, Minor High School served grades nine through twelve and consisted of a 301 member student body. In addition, Minor also established its athletic program – fielding a football team, a girls' basketball team, and a tennis club the same year. In June of 1923, Minor graduated its first class of fourteen seniors with Bertha Thompson serving as the first senior class president.
Catastrophe struck at 6:30 a.m. on Friday, January 22, 1926 when a fire, originating in the chemistry laboratory, consumed the school and forced its temporary closure. Minor reopened its doors in 1927 after the main building was rebuilt. A gymnasium, extra classrooms, and a library were added later.
From its first season in 1922, Friday night football was a community event, but because of inadequate facilities, most football games were played at the opponent's field. In 1953, through the efforts of the communities served, Minor built a lighted football field and stadium. With a press box added in 1960, the stadium was considered one of the best in the state.
Minor High School experienced various expansions through the years: an office wing and classrooms in 1963, a lunchroom and band room in 1970, additional classrooms when Dixie Junior High School became available, and a new field house and gymnasium. These additions doubled the campus size.
In the late 1980s, Minor High School faced the task of renovation. Instead of refurbishing the school's old building, the Jefferson County Board of Education decided to retire the old school and build a new, modern facility. In September 1988, classes began in the new building located in Adamsville. In 1996, a new lighted stadium was built at the Adamsville site. With the addition of the ninth grade classes that were previously at Bottenfield Jr. High, Minor High School has experienced much growth over the past five years. The 2001-2002 school year opened with a new wing consisting of seventeen new classrooms and three science labs. The necessity of a second gymnasium was soon evident. In 2002-2003, a new practice gymnasium was added to the campus. Working in conjunction with Wal-Mart and the Jefferson County Commission, Minor High School is currently building several practice athletic fields with a projected use by the soccer, softball, and football teams as well as a secondary practice location for the band.
Because the school is always concerned for the safety and security of our students, faculty, and staff, Minor High School is excited about the recent decision of Jefferson County to match funds for the purchase of a highly technical security system. Cameras were placed in every public area, both inside and out. Monitors were placed in both the main office and the Student Resource Officer's office.